The developing iCAN ecosystem brings together multidisciplinary expertise in cancer genomics, translational and clinical cancer research, digital health, information technology, machine learning and business to solve one of the most pressing challenges of our time – cancer.
iCAN is well connected nationally, in the Nordics, in the EU and globally on multiple levels. We leverage existing innovation networks and ecosystems, as well as research networks, company collaborations, patient organizations, host organizations’ strategic partnerships. One of the key frameworks is FICAN, the Finnish national cancer centers, in particular FICAN South.
We also work closely with the business development and innovation services available within University of Helsinki, Helsinki Business Hub, Business Finland and Health Capital Helsinki, including SPARK. A cornerstone partnership for iCAN is with cancer patients and patient organizations through the Patient and Citizen Advisory Board.
Active scientific collaboration with industry partners
The iCAN competence cluster also has active ongoing collaboration with industry partners in the form of sponsored and investigator-initiated clinical trials and focused research collaborations. These dynamic scientific collaborations are expected to further increase, with an added focus on utilizing the iCAN discovery platform.
Some of our internationally relevant collaborators include Precision Medicine Coalition, SciLifeLab/KI, and EU-LIFE. Starting in 2022, iCAN aims to participate in the EU Mission Cancer and Beating Cancer Plan, where we have been involved in preparations. iCAN also continues to collaborate with other local public-private-partnerships, such as FinnGen and CleverHealth Network’s eCare4Me.
Wide network of partnerships
The high-quality health data in Finland, together with strong science and supportive legislation provide an excellent framework for the development of the iCAN ecosystem with current and new partners. A selection of our partners are listed below – if you are interested in joining the network, please contact us to hear more about opportunities for collaboration.
Partnerships and project-specific collaborations and contributions in scientific, clinical, and patient engagement activities
- Karolinska Institute/SciLifeLab
- National Cancer Institute, Netherlands
- Oslo Cancer Cluster & IMPRESS
- Cambridge University, Cambridge Cancer Center, UK
- Hubrecht Organoid Technologies (HUB), NL
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center MSKCC, USA
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, USA
- Precision Medicine Coalition
- European Beating Cancer Plan & Mission Cancer
- Nordic NECT – Nordic Network for Early Cancer Trials
- OECI – Organisation of European Cancer Institute
- Infrastructures: BBMRI, EATRIS; ELIXIR, EU-OPENSCREEN; EuroBioImaging, Biocenter Finland
- National Cancer Center (FICAN) and regional nodes
- Association of Finnish Cancer Patients – Suomen Syöpäpotilaat
- Colores – Suomen Suolistosyöpäyhdistys
- Europa Donna Finland
- CSC- IT Center for Science / ELIXIR RI
- Biobank Joint Operator Finland (FinBB)
- AoF CoEs: Tumor Genetics Research; Complex Disease Genetics; Stem Cell Metabolism
- CleverHealthNetwork / eCare4me
- FCAI AoF Flagship (Finnish Center for Artificial Intelligence)
- GeneCellNano AoF flagship
- Cancer Society of Finland
- Finnish Cancer Institute
- University of Vaasa
Ongoing/recent partnerships with over 30 companies in clinical trials and developing digital health solutions
- Astex Pharmaceuticals
- Blueprint Medicines
- Debiopharm Int.
- Erytech Pharma
- Evox Therapeutics Ltd.
- Exelixis Inc.
- Janpix BIO
- Novo Nordisk
- Oncopeptides AB
- Tilt therapeutics